I wish I could travel back in time and chat to the me that thought being healthy and fit reflected a number on the scale. A me that was afraid to put full fat cream in my coffee. Or a me that wouldn’t dare miss a workout for fear that I would automatically gain 10lbs. Oh, how far I have come!
I, as are you, am on a never ending journey to be the healthiest version of myself. Finding the delicate balance of kicking my ass but also remembering that some days need a little yoga and restoration. Eating clean, healthy foods but also enjoying a cold one and burger.
Here are some of my top nutrition and wellness tips that have helped me along the way. My hopes are that they will save you a little time and effort.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar. ACV has SO many health benefits that it is pretty much a miracle food. Even my great grandmother used it for its medicinal properties. I use it mainly because of its digestive purposes. It helps stimulate the good bacteria in your gut to breakdown protein. It is a fermented food which gives it many of the same benefits as consuming a probiotic. One thing that I noticed immediately from consuming ACV was less bloating and better digestion. I didn’t feel my food was sitting in my stomach after a big meal rather it moved out of my body the way that it is supposed to. (also less belly fat!)
How to use it? Take 1 tbsp upon waking and 1 tbsp before bed. I usually take a big swig of the bottle instead of measuring it out. If you can’t stand the taste then mix it with warm water.
2. Meditation. You may have heard this before but some of the most successful people meditate. People do it for different reasons but I mainly meditate to find clarity. There is always a little voice inside of us that is essentially our streamline of consciousness. It removes all of the unnecessary thoughts of worry, stress, self doubt and confusion by really being able to listen to your “gut”. Remember hearing always listen to your gut- it’s always right, right?
There is so much clutter in our brains from TV, social media, work and we are rarely aware of it. “Meditation trains us to prune and hone our thoughts, to only focus on what’s useful and important, to disregard the rest, and to separate our egos and identities from the thoughts and emotions running through our heads.”
How to use it? I like to start by using the guided meditation video in the link below. Find a comfortable place to sit, use headphones if needed and try to allow your brain to quiet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgZFoMIvwyE
3. Wellness Formula. This supplement saved my life when I felt a cold coming on and had to speak at an event the next day. I was instructed to take 2 tablets every 4 hours until the symptoms subsided. It worked like a charm! This vitamin is designed to support the immune system when under any physical stress. It is full of antioxidants, vitamins, herbs and minerals to aid in any rebuilding.
How to use it? Feeling sick? Take 2 every 3 hours. Want to keep your immune system strong? Take 1-2 a day. You can find it at Wholefoods or really any vitamin shop.
4. Do Something Outside. By far one of the biggest game changers for me. Fresh air is like therapy. Add moving your body and you have a serious endorphin rush. Running, skiing, biking, swimming, hiking or paddle boarding. There aren’t many more things that I would like to be doing.
Once upon a time I did literally nothing outside. I lived in a city, worked a stressful job, went out to dinner all of time and often had drinks after work. That was essentially what my life consisted of. Yeah, the dinner and drinks were fun but that was my hobby and I started to gain weight. I moved to Boulder in order to change my lifestyle and the first thing that changed for me was getting outside. Changed my mentality and my perspective on what my body needed.
5. Yogi Honey Lavender Stress Relief Tea. I love tea. One of my favorite things about hot tea is how it serves as something to slow me down. Because it is hot, I have to drink it slower. It goes perfectly with a piece of dark chocolate at night. With a book. In the car on a cold day. Or to share with a friend. Another perk- it has 0 calories and suppresses my appetite!
New recipe? Drink it just as is or try it with a splash of unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk.
6. Eat fat not sugar. I spent years avoiding fat because every diet in the fitness magazines told me to do it. Never ever again. Fat is absolutely essential for a healthy human being and also for someone who is trying to lose fat. The low fat diet was born in the 90’s when trans fats were found to make us sick. Unfortunately, the message became oversimplified and ALL fats were labeled as bad. That couldn’t be farther from the truth.
What fats are good? I try to incorporate fats into every meal. For breakfast, I usually have full fat yogurt. Lunch, avocado, vegetables cooked in coconut oil, eggs with yolk, fattier meats. Dinner looks the same as lunch. Bottom line, don’t be afraid of fat! It is sugar that makes you fat.
Best in Health,
Andrea Rodgers, CSCS, CHHC
Boulder, CO–May 2019—FITtec.® EMS Fitness HQ chooses world leader in EMS (Electrical Muscle Stimulation) technology as their EMS machine partner after their launch of the First Premier FDA-Approved Electrical Muscle Stimulation (EMS) Fitness Franchise in the United States. [ view more ]
Boulder, CO–April 2019—Based on a successful, science-backed European fitness technology, FITtec.® EMS Fitness studios just launched the First Premier FDA-Approved Electrical Muscle Stimulation (EMS) Fitness Franchise in the United States. [ view more ]